Depending on your role, you could be the first one to identify that a student is in need of help and to provide them with resources that will benefit them during a challenging time. Many students come to the attention of faculty or staff through journal entries, papers, or a shift in behaviors. Being aware of distress signals, methods of intervention, and support resources will allow you to provide assistance for the student. If a concern for a student arises, we recommend that you: 

  • Contact the student directly
  • Speak to the student privately, and in person, if possible
  • Contact the student by email or phone and schedule a time to meet with them, if you are unable to speak with them privately or in person 
  • Based on your conversation, refer the student to the appropriate campus resources, such as:
    • The Dean of Students Office 
    • University Housing and Residential Life
    • Tuttleman Counseling Services 
    • Disability Resources and Services 
    • Academic Advisor, and/or 
    • TUPD

Key Questions Which May Help You Identify a Distressed Student:

  • Has the student's personality changed?
  • Is the student experencing basic needs insecuirty (food or housing)? 
  • Has the student's behavior changed?
  • What kind of support network does the student have?
  • Is the student doing anything about his/her situation?

Please know that the CARE Team is here to help! When a student's needs are more than you feel prepared to assist with, a referral to the CARE Team is the next step. No concern is too small to be referred.